Last Updated on November 21, 2021 by Harry Holden
Many of the Discord users have complained about Discord stuck checking for updates issues. And if you think you are alone, NO! From server issues to internet connection issues, there can be several reasons behind this.
On the other hand, it can be a mere issue of your PC too! And so, we will discuss how to solve the checking for update issue of Discord and make it run like before once again!
Solutions for Discord Stopped in Checking for Update
Here are different solutions for the problem you are facing. Follow them and solve the problems you are facing!
Method 1: Restart the PC
A very easy way for all the small glitches that you face with Discord is to restart the PC. If there is any temporary glitch on your PC that requires to be fixed, a simple reboot will make it work properly.
All you need is to go through the Discord app and shut it down. And then, restart the PC. After the restarting is done, get into Discord once again. We hope the Discord update will work just fine now.
Method 2: Restart the Router
If restarting the PC doesn’t work, at times, the internet can be the issue regarding Discord being stuck while checking for updates. As this is a topic of update, the internet might be the reason behind it. To solve this, it’s a good way to restart the router. Rebooting the router will most probably solve the issue.
Method 3: Update Discord as Administrator
If Discord is still stuck on the update screen, you can settle for updating Discord as an administrator. Check out the process to complete it.
- First of all, you have to get into the Discord Update option. There you will see several options available. And from them, you have to pick Open with Administrator.
- After you have pressed it, you have to get into the Run box. For this, first type “%localappdata%” without the quotation and then go for the “C:\Users\Rahul\AppData\Local” folder without the quotation.
3. Here, you will see different folders available. You have to search for the Discord folder from the list. Once you find Discord, you have to find update.exe.
4. After finding the update.exe, take your cursor on it and right-click it. You will get a drop-down menu available here. From the list, you have to find Open with the Administrator and click it.
Method 4: Switch off Windows Defender
At times, the Windows Defender or the other Antiviruses are the reason why Discord is stuck for updates. In this case, the best possible way is to switch off the defender. Disable the Antiviruses and then restart the PC. Get into Discord and it will start working properly again.
Method 5: Uninstall and Re-install
Another easy and quick way to solve the issue of Discord being stuck for the update is to uninstall the app first and then reinstall it. Go through your PC or mobile and delete the app from your device.
After deleting, install the Discord app once again. When you install Discord once again, an application will help you reinstall all the Discord components once again. And in this way, the update channel will be reinstalled too.
Also Learn: How To Make A Twitch Discord Server
Method 6: Ends Discord Process
Even when you are not working on Discord, it will run in the background. Commonly, Discord will try to work on finding new or recent updates.
That’s something that every app does. But this background service might also be the reason being Discord update failure. No worries, we have found a way to solve this issue. Check it out!
- First, you have to get your cursor to the taskbar of your computer and right-click the mouse. And the menu will appear before you with several options available. From the list, you have to search for the option Task Manager and get into it.
- Once you get into Task Manager, you will see the processes of different applications. There, you have to search for Discord. And, your work now is to end the process tree. However, ending once the process tree won’t work for you.
- Keep in mind that there will be several Discord.exe image names available in the list. Find each one of them, click on them and click End Process Tree. After you are done with all the processes, you can go to the next step.
- In this step, you have to restart the PC. Restarting the computer helps to save all the changes you have made to your PC. After the reboot, you have to re-launch the app now. Get into Discord and check if the update is working properly or not!
Go through all the solutions one by one. We will not tell you that each of them will fit you. But we can assure you that at least one solution will help you out. If these don’t work, you might need to take your issue to a professional.